|   2026-05-17 10:55:00

Hezbollah Attacks Israel Despite Ceasefire Extension

Shortly after Israel and Lebanon agreed to extend their ceasefire by 45 days, the pro-Iranian militant group Hezbollah resumed attacks on Israel. The group said it had used drones to strike a number of barracks in northern Israel and had earlier announced combat operations against Israel Defense Forces (IDF) troops in southern Lebanon.

The ceasefire extension was brokered on Friday with the help of a US mediator. Despite the agreement, both sides have continued to exchange attacks.

Negotiations at the US State Department are expected to resume in early June, with the aim of reaching a lasting peace settlement between Israel and Lebanon. Israel's ambassador in Washington, Yechiel Leiter, said the potential for success was great but that his country's security must be guaranteed. The Lebanese delegation was also reported to be optimistic, saying the ceasefire provides time to strengthen Lebanon's state institutions and build lasting stability.

(red)