South Korea Says Trump Drill Cuts Put Pressure on Seoul
South Korean Foreign Minister Cho Hyun said on Wednesday that US President Donald Trump’s order to limit joint military exercises appeared aimed in part at pressuring Seoul.
Cho said Washington was seeking South Korean support for US efforts in the Iran war while also sending a message to North Korea and pressing Seoul over unresolved issues including investment.
One potential source of friction is South Korea’s pledge to invest $350bn in the US under a trade agreement signed last year. Seoul has yet to announce details of the plan, saying it must assess commercial viability and complete legal procedures.
Following Trump’s order, South Korea and the US will shorten their annual military exercises from 11 to five days and scale back some field training.
South Korean Unification Minister Chung Dong-young also said he believes that by curtailing the exercises – which have long angered Pyongyang – Trump is moving closer to a possible new meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
(Reuters, max)